General and Laparoscopic Surgical Associates, P.C
General and Laparoscopic Surgical Associates, P.C.
Stefano F. Agolini, M.D., F.A.C.S.
4660 Kenmore Avenue, Suite 419
Alexandria, Va 22304 www.surgeonvirginia.com
Preparing For Surgery
1. You will be given a date and time for your surgery. In general you will get to the hospital two hours before your scheduled time. It is important to realize that the actual time of your surgery may be considerably earlier or later than the original scheduled time. For this reason you should not plan any other activities the day of your surgery.
2. For a general anesthesia or a local with sedation( “twilight”) do not eat or drink after midnight. For a local case(no sedation) there are no dietary restrictions. It is safe to take your medications with a sip of water the day of the surgery. Unless it is a local anesthesia you will need someone to drive you home( for legal reasons a taxi is not permitted)
3. In general you will stay on all your regular medications including the day of surgery unless otherwise instructed. If you are taking a blood thinner such as Plavix, Coumadin, full dose Aspirin( 325mg) or Pradaxa you will need permission from your cardiologist or internist to stop these medications prior to surgery. In general it will be necessary to stop these blood thinners to proceed with surgery but again they can only be stopped with authorization. It is safe to continue taking a baby(\(\(81mg) aspirin.
4. Some patients will need to have a pre-op evaluation which may include laboratory tests by their internist or cardiologist prior to the surgery. If requested this evaluation must be done prior to the surgery, so as soon as you are given a date for your surgery schedule your appointment.
5. You will need to call 703 504 5005 to schedule a phone interview with Alexandria Hospital prior to your surgery and 703 776 7935 for Fairfax Hospital
6. If you need to cancel the surgery or have any questions please call us as soon as possible at 703 823 4066
7. We strive to make this a smooth process for you and want your feedback if there are any ways that we can help you.